Golden North is an iconic South Australian ice-cream manufacturer.
Golden North’s facility at Laura manufactures take home ice cream tubs, multipack, premium tubs, individually packaged impulse and non-packaged impulse scoop ice cream.
About 75% of electricity usage on site is consumed by the refrigeration plant, which makes this area a prime target for energy efficiency improvements.
In assessing the plant operation at Golden North, Oomiak proposed the following changes as having the greatest potential for returning energy savings for a cost effective outlay:
- Installation of Variable Speed Drives to Compressors
- Modification to the Oil Cooling Method
- Installation of a new Screw Compressor
- Economising of all new and existing screw compressors
- Installation of variable speed drives to condenser fans in conjunction with Intelligent Floating Condenser Pressure Control
These changes are expected to halve the time it takes to harden ice cream, and allow Golden North to increase their production capacity.