The Oomiak Crew Spotlight series is back and in this edition, we’re looking within our Capital Projects team!
Our team is filled to the brim with enthusiastic, experienced, and skilled people – we’re excited to share their stories.
My Role in Oomiak
Working as a Project Engineer and Project Manager in the refrigeration industry for over a decade, Matthew Fechner has been a pivotal part of the Oomiak team for over 6 years.
“Throughout my career at Oomiak (so far), I’ve worked in various areas of the business and industry,” says Matt.
The track record he’s accumulated to date is impressive to say the least, contributing to a range of projects throughout Australia including:
- Project managing multi-million-dollar ammonia and glycol refrigeration installs including the NewCold storage facilities and Montague
- Designing and managing the fabrication of refrigeration equipment including pipework, pumps, refrigeration vessels, and compressor packages
- Designing specific process cooling equipment for bakery spiral coolers and fast coolers systems that store bananas, strawberries, and other fresh produce
- Updating clients P&IDs (Process and Instrumentation Diagrams) and safety systems
- Designing and commissioning the control system of various refrigeration equipment
- Providing budget proposals for a project and then having the ability to follow through on the design, installation management, and commissioning process
“The opportunity for me to have my hand in such a broad range of projects is really great.
Beyond the project management side of things, I’ve been able to use my engineering abilities to help create various solutions for our clients,” says Matt.
Best Thing About Working at Oomiak
“The best thing about working at Oomiak are the opportunities to collaborate and learn – the broad depth of knowledge and skills I’ve learnt here so far is incredible.
This happens through collaboration with key stakeholders like clients, builders, tradespeople and office staff throughout the design and installation process.
The culmination of this pooled knowledge and group effort means you can create a great end product for all parties involved,” says Matt.
Living our SPICES, Matt’s commitment to evolving and acting with integrity shows the value he sees within each of his encounters.
“The knowledge learnt from all these various specialists and trades allows for a well-rounded knowledge base and skills that can be applied in the future.
Everyone at Oomiak is very passionate about their job which makes it enjoyable going to work each day knowing that we’re working together as a team,” says Matt.
My Career Tips
Emphasising learning, Matt rarely turns down an opportunity to gain a different perspective or pick up new knowledge.
“Having an openness to continual learning ensures that you keep up to date with the latest processes and learn new skills that can be applied in the future,” says Matt.
With a wealth of knowledge within Oomiak, to tap into it Matt knows all he has to do is ask.
“Ensure you ask questions and listen to what others in the industry have to say as there is a lot of knowledge in the industry from people at all stages in their career,” says Matt.
Putting runs on the board, Matt continues to go above and beyond for Oomiak and our clients. We’re excited to witness the great work you’ll continue to do – great stuff Matt!